Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Wednesday, 4 pm. Word

I sit here boredly sorting some tired cells from populations that don't exist. At least the sample hasn't clogged our nozzle again. Stupid lung samples. Here's the moo-chine in question:
DSCN0802
That's a BD FACSVantage with FACSDiva option. Roar.

That's right, Diva is the name of the software. We even have a big sign on our door that says "Diva." So the joke I get to hear now and again is "Which one of you two is the Diva in here?" Nyuck nyuck nyuck. The two big blue tubes are a *patented* ventilation hood that keeps Simon and I from getting infected with a disease that would be very harmful to us. If we were of the muridae family, that is. Lately we've been doing some interesting stuff. Calcium flux experiments that utilize a UV laser and dyes that change color depending on the level of Ca++ being fluxed. Fluxin' Calcium! And retuning a laser. Normally our primary laser emits 488nm light - a nice azure color. But we had to retune it the other day to 515, a nice grassy color. This means we have to change optics - mirrors, filters, etc - too, which I find exciting, for some reason. Most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about...so I'll come back to the lab some other time. Maybe with pictures of Simon and I using the assorted equipment.

The weather has been warmer - ~40F - the last few days. So snow is looking kinda slushy. I can't freakin' wait for daylight savings to begin so I can have evenings again.

Here's some pictures of the "Tricycle Motor." (A name I indirectly learned from Keith)

DSCN0867
When I left this morning, he was suckin' on a Capri Sun, happy as a clam!

DSCN0827
Hello, is their anyone in here?

You can almost see his erupting little teeth...

DSCN0864
To me it looks like he's getting ready to talk to the dinosaurs...

He just falls asleep sometimes. And then we do too.

I'll try to remember to bring the camera in to work every day so that I don't leave a cyberspace void in everyone's lives that my little corner of the blogosphere normally fills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one smart kid! Able to have a juice package all by himself at this age. What a gifted child!