Thursday, March 10, 2005

The State I'm In

It seems I've used up all of my alloted monthly upload limit on Flickr, so it may be a few days before I post pictures again (after today, that is). Anybody know how much space Ofoto gives out per month?

Anywho, since just about nobody has had a chance to get back and visit us yet, I thought I'd include a few pictures of local scenery and small town fauna.

We have a deck on the third floor at work - in the spring and summer quite a few of us have our lunches/coffee breaks on it. I took a picture of the lake from it last summer:
View

Today, for contrast, I took this picture:
DSCN0796

The ice on the lakes up here is 18 inches thick - or so I've been told. One of the local attractions a month ago was a massive ice palace, made from blocks of ice cut from Lake Flower. And the lakes froze quick, too. It wasn't at all like Eastern Washington where they slowly froze over - one day they were clear, and the next almost no open water (now there's none).

Among other things that excite me about living in a small town, are barn yard animals. No, not like that. A day or so after we got off the train back here, I pulled over on the way to Lake Placid and snapped a picture of these beauties.
Turkeys!

I got some weird looks from other people who happened to be driving by at the time. I didn't expect them to last much longer than Thanksgiving, but here it is March, and they're still around. Although everytime we see them, they're huddled up in the cold with their heads tucked under their wings. I think my joke about the poor turkeys whose heads have fallen off has gotten a little old, too.

Well, I'll put some pictures up of the lab sometime, and pics from last year, including our train ride. For now, here's a picture of Connor to keep grandparents happy!
ConnorPup

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One must be careful only to take low-res pictures when operating in Flickr. I do feel sympathy for you, having snow. Don't turkeys run wild over there?