Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Tuesday Is Monday

And the sample I'm running right now is l-u-m-p-y. Constant tweaks of the differential knob needed to keep things running at all.

One thing that happened to us this weekend that I failed to mention yesterday is that Cindy and I undertook amateur treadmill repair to absolutely NO success. The treadmill's been on the fritz for six weeks or so - it started making a small grinding or whisking noise, then seized up and wouldn't go. At all. So Cindy makes a call to the home office of whoever, and some lady that's hundreds or maybe thousands of miles away insists that it's got to be the circuit board that controls the speed of the thing, and don't worry, we're at the tail end of the warranty she'll send one on out. We get the thing, Cindy connects it, we turn the treadmill on, and...Nothing. I crank on the motor and - surprise - it's seized. Just like Cindy had trie to tell the lady. At first we thought maybe one of the kids had managed to drop something in under the shroud that covers all the moving parts, but no, it's just a piece of $#!%. But it has a longer warranty. Cindy makes another phone call. End result: motor received last week. So Saturday - or maybe Sunday, I set about replacing the old with the new. I follow the included directions to the T. All wires are connected properly. All belts are now in place. Next step - plug in, turn on, adjust speed.

Plug in. Check

Turn on....Oh Shit! Fire! One of the transistors on the newly replaced speed control board sparks, pops, flames, smokes. We unplug and try to determine if I hooked it up wrong (no).

But now what? Time to play phone tag again, I guess. I'm mostly frustrated because the weather's starting to get cold enough that I know I won't want to run outside much after this month, but I'm finally feeling like I'm getting into shape...And now my yuppie health luxury is broken. Not to mention I was looking forward to giving my joints a chance to heal on it's shock absorbing belt over the next few months.

We also took the pets to the vet Saturday. The cat was amazingly clean and healthy, according to the vet. Amazing, seeing as how we rescued him from trailer trash that left him locked up on their porch after they moved out. Sadly, for him, he'll be minus two bodily protrusions sometime before the end of the month. But he'll be allowed inside after that. The dog, however, had fleas and tapeworms, both of which have been treated successfully, but sick me out nonetheless.

Sunday I also went out looking for places to chase whitetails in two weeks time. Man, I live in a cool spot. If one can find their way away from people with long established hunting camps, there's some cool countryside to explore. I even managed to see some deer - noisy dog in tow and all.
How was your weekend?

Anybody know what it would mean if one "talks in maths?"

6 comments:

PCS said...

I saw a deer in my driveway this morning

B-Wizz said...

Did you consider eating it?

Unknown said...

Twice last night I saw a porcupine. Neither time did I consider eating it.

Having you been enjoying the sultry sounds of Radiohead?
"Arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
He's like a detuned radio"

B-Wizz said...

Why yes. There's nothing like falsetto vocals and electronic warbles to set my mind free. I can't decide if the lyrics that Tom York writes are meant to be smart, or deep, or tongue in cheek. Talks in maths? WTF?

There's more than a few people around here who's dogs have considered eating porcupines. I'm paranoid enough about it that I keep Cooper on a leash when we walk in the woods - that and he's not so good (yet) at responding to my every command.

Unknown said...

I think the easiest way to get a dog to respond correctly to a porcupine would be this:

Upon encountering a porcupine with an unleashed dog, scream and run the other way like a crazy person.

I think the dog'd get the vibe, being a pack animal.

B-Wizz said...

I guess the usual encounter consists of the dog being out of sight of the owner when all of the sudden yelps and growls and such are heard, with the end result being the dog's face growing many new, stiff hairs.