Friday, October 21, 2005

Fun With Magellan

In anticipation of hunting I've been playing with my GPS unit - in many ways I've been learning how to use it in place of blindly stumbling around with it in order not to get lost - ie using all of those bells and whistles that it's got. Here's some digging I did with coordinates I had saved on it:

This is where all of the other men in my family are right now - hunting camp in Twisp, WA. Kinda wish I was there right now. The white line that runs N-S on the map is the logging road we ride up in the morning. It's 4 miles if we go all the way to the top. To the east you can see Loup Loup(sp) ski area - the littlest ski hill on earth (probably not really, but it's small). Our camp lies just south (I think) of Highway 20 on the map:
DeerCamp
So the stars in slightly the wrong spot...

Anywho, we usually come from the west when driving in to camp. But the last year I lived in Washington - not the last year I went to camp, mind you - Cindy and I came in from the east via the North Cascades Highway. I don't think there's a more beautiful drive in the country. You pass scenic alpine lakes, craggy mountains, rocky gorges. Mostly pristine. Sometimes looking down hundreds or more feet at rivers and lakes. I recommend it to anyone. Coordinates to camp - 48 22.375 -119 56.938.

And for my friends in the Ellensburg area - the last time I was through Ellensburg to bird hunt (unsuccessfully) I found a skull from a young big horn ram. It's probably nice and clean by now (or dust). The coordinates are 47 08.152 -120 22.063 if anyone's interesting (its up Cook Canyon, I think. Or maybe Coleman Canyon - go get it, Pittses). An aerial is here, it should be just east of the road, if I remember correctly. A GPS unit of decent quality should get you within a couple of feet. And here's a map:
Ram Map
This time, the star appears to be in roughly the right spot.

Enough tech nerding - I need to get to bed so I can go do some Elmer Fudding tomorrow...

5 comments:

B-Wizz said...

The links don't work - just enter the coordinates in (cut and paste from the blog) at the site the links take you to if interested.

Unknown said...

Boys love bones and bodies. I'm going to look for it this weekend for sure. With orange on.

Beware Mactan island. Magellan was kind of, well, eaten there.

Unknown said...

Elmer Fudd hunted rabbit with a side by side 8 gauage.

Anyhow, I went up there (Cooke) GPSed about and found nothing. Coursed the square quarter mile of the waypoint...what has it been? Three years? Was kind of bummed, but it was fun to watch the distance decrease as I approached the spot.

B-Wizz said...

Yup. GPS'ing is fun. Unless you're doing it for a college course, you know your destination, and you have some dumbass whose an ex-marine in the van with you insisting that we figure out our heading by recording compass coordinates first, when all you want to do is drive out to the silage pit and get some bacteria samples...

B-Wizz said...

and then high tail it back to your apartment so you can relax on a summer afternoon...