Thursday, September 22, 2005

Arthursday2

Okay, I'll blow my load with this one...kinda. I forgot last week to post the Bob Peak pic that first caught my eye. So, mostly to get some more rants out of Dr. Pete, here it is:

Bob Peak -Robert Henri
Innovative use of color: Check. Composition that draws the viewer's eye to the subject: Check. Badass guy with a moustache: Check. Swinging seventies style: Check.
Graphic courtesy of: art by Bob Peak http://www.BobPeak.com
Many Thanks for permission

Earlier I posted the picture of that Starbucks gal looking for her nipples. It comes from a cool community art site that I will link to...here. The idea was simple and cool - print out cartoon style speech bubbles, attach them to posters throughout NYC, and let the good citizens of the world fill them in.

Speaking of community art projects, one of my favorite sites that I check out quite often is PostSecret. Another simple idea - people anonymously mail in postcards with depictions of their deepest, darkest secret; postcards appear on a blog; catharsis happens. Interesting stuff.

Post Facto Disclaimer: Both links have some offensive language in them - ask real people to submit there thoughts and you get to see both the good and bad in the world.

Something more light hearted? I quite enjoy good caricature artists. I've done some arting in my day, and would have to say that good, accurate portraits take a large amount of talent and skill. To be able to boil that down into an accurate depiction of someone based on a few of their more noticeable features, all the while keeping it (usually) good willed and simple? Sounds pretty damn near impossible to me. Oh, and Pete, there's a great Seinfeld ensemble drawing in there if you look through the portfolios...

Here's this thing, that made me laugh so hard that I nearly wet myself at work:
hamster
I recommend downloading and viewing full to read all of the captions.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm about to travel through time, I bid you adieu."

2 comments:

PCS said...

I have to admit the hamster thing is a bit humorous.

Unknown said...

Hamsters are dangerous enough without strapping a shiv to their spine...God almighty. (Which it to say: I nearly spewed green tea out my nose.)