Monday, April 25, 2005

366 and Counting

A year ago yesterday I started work here at the institute. A year ago last Thursday we arrived here in New York. A year ago Monday (ish) we hopped the train.

That means that this is the longest amount of time that I have been at a full time job. It's also been a year since we have had family within driving distance to lend a hand or moral support. It's been a year of experiencing a different way of doing some things, different changes to the seasons, having to do things on our own. I've learned a lot, I've got a new kid, we have a dependable car for once. I could be getting paid more, but we're doing much better now that we're in our own home. Let's see what the next year brings.

Enough wistfulness.

And now...

What Are We? Version 1.0

Here's some things that have sprouted up around the house that I was hoping some of my botanically minded friends could help me ID. It's v1.0 because I've got some things I found in the shop I want people to guess at on a later date. That said:
DSCN1032
These are popping up everywhere - they look really cool - but they grow in the lawn...The leaves have kind of a speckled/striped look. They kind of remind me of bromeliads...I think.
DSCN1030
There's two plants here, growing on a rock in the garden. The one with the pointy leaves I've found in quite a few spots, and think it's a pretty cool plant.
DSCN1029
I know what these are - does anyone else?
DSCN1034
Crocus?
DSCN1035
What's the pink thing? And the other plant is a close up of the same kind as the previous pic.
DSCN1036
What might the leaves belong to? And what might the little blue flowers be?
DSCN1037
I'm 90% sure these are daffodils.

You might have to click on the picture and view a larger size through Flickr to see some of those. It's been so cool to have these little things poking their heads out right now. I'm fairly certain that half of the plants I don't recognize are considered weeds, or nuisances, in this area. But I guess I'm just a hobbit trapped in a mans body, and have a love for all things that grow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your "crocus" may be gladiolas. And your "daffodils" could be day lilies. It's hard to tell from the pictures, Although your dandilion was very distinctive!

Your musings are interesting,
a year ago a lot of things were different. But then that's how we grow!
Mom