Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Shilo When I Was Young, I Used To Call Your Name

Back with the same old. More rugby updates - Old Boy day we lost narrowly to Saratoga. It was kind of a boring game to play in as a back, as the forwards did the majority of the work. This past weekend, I was moved up into the "Man's position" of playing in the pack. I am now a second row, or lock. Here's some pictures of other people that I found online to show you all what that's all about:

cut_feeding_the_scrum
The guys that you can't really see in this picture because they're buried in the scrum somewhere behind their respective front rows. That's where I played.

tight_five
Yup. Head firmly between a prop and the hooker's ass, reaching between the prop's legs for a bind. It's not nearly as homoerotic as it sounds.


_40538329_samatfieldengwc270jones
I also got to do a bit of line-out jumping, which was a lot of fun. Getting lifted several feet off the ground to catch a ball, all while surrounded by complete hooligans is pretty cool.

So all in all, I felt I did a good job as a lock, especially considering I hadn't really played a single minute as a forward, outside of the odd scrimmage. I didn't really screw up many of the line-out calls (Okay, there was one, but I'd really just learned them about an hour before game time), and even stole a couple of the other team's. And I scrummed down okay - the prop I was pushing seemed to think I did a good job, and I didn't take many steps backward (strong like bull). Several people told me I'd taken to it, found my place, etc. I was just glad that I held up my end of things. If I didn't take to it like a fish out of water, maybe it was like an Mick boy to whiskey? Oh, and we won - all thanks to some highschool kids who'd barely heard of rugby before Saturday, but came in in the second half to run three tries in right through a bunch of slow old men.

Everything else is rolling along fine, too. Cindy's found a job in town where she makes coffee and bakes delicious treats for people that aren't me, so now the rest of the world is getting to see some of her many talents. It got hot out here on the right coast, and muggy. We've been doing yardwork as schedules allow (I've got to get my garden planted this week - around practice, work schedules, and children). The roofers have been at it the last couple of days, and I sure don't envy them being out in the sun in the weather we've been having.

That's all from my boring life...

3 comments:

PCS said...

Do you need to put your hand near some guys junk?

Will said...

Better than slapping asses all the time.

BTY, photos are up if you're still interested.

B-Wizz said...

I looked at your photos, I even tried to leave a comment but there was some wierd moderation thing going on. The X-ray you've got up there is impressive and scary.

My hand was nowhere near anyone's junk. At least not uncomfortably so.