Sunday, May 07, 2006

The (Triumphant?) Return

Yesterday I played in my first actual rugby match(es) in about eight or nine years. I didn't play the "cleanest" rugby I ever have, but following such an extended absence, I felt pretty good. The team's doing well for this time of the season (Mud-N-Blood '06 Tournament champs!). I could use some more conditioning, definitely, but at least I now enjoy the not-so-dubious position of not being the lightest guy on the pitch. So while some of the nippier guys can make a step on me, I can hit them that much harder when I get the chance. Yay. Here's some pictures, sorry for the lack of action in them:

DSCN1933
The SL backs (and a prop named "Hottub") line up in anticipation...
DSCN1941
The forwards pack in for a scrummage...
DSCN1943
I'm about 75% sure that's me going into a tackle, but since all we can see is a body about to hit the dirt I can't be certain.
DSCN1947
Who wears short shorts? B(#12) wears short shorts...
DSCN1956
I'd be remiss if I didn't share the war wounds - apologies for the picture of pasty man leg - I got a nice cleat to the inner thigh (Doesn't actually hurt, but is bruising up nice). During one match, I tried to pick up a ball that was on the deck and the other team's scrum-half booted me in the hand, square on my big thumb knuckle. It's made typing this up fun, as that half of my hand is nice and stiff right now. The good news is that my shins/ankles/knees actually aren't stiff right now - and they have been, every morning, for about the last two months - but my shoulders, thighs, and abs are. I guess I shouldn't have allowed them to atrophy the way I did?

Anyone curious about rugby can look here or here.

Word.

6 comments:

Jackson Curtis said...

So did anyone get kicked in the nads by the team donkey?

Bryan and Audrey said...

Good for you, btw, that thigh is pasty AND tasty!

B-Wizz said...

Yup. I guess I need to take better care of my creamy thighs.

Unknown said...

Look like The Captain almost tied off to that cleat...as it were.

B-Wizz said...

No, it's further away from the crothcal region than it looks. Long legs. The Captain was in little danger. I don't even remember it happening.

B-Wizz said...

Thats "crotchal..."