Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Round Two

Okay. Finish this up. So last weekend was Montreal then Ottawa. Montreal. Quebec. One province in Canada that, for some unknown reason speaks almost exclusively French. It would be like going to the Midwest to discover that they speak ONLY German. Makes no sense, and they're complete dickheads about it (for the most part - we did run into one or two nice people that REALLY helped us out). On top of being strangers in a strange land, the car battery shit the bed the second day we were there, so we had to seek out a car part store in this land of the frogs. Turns out that it's "Car Pieces" in French, and the guy at Monsieur Muffler was very nice, once we found them, and really helped me out. The other people we talked to before we found them? Not so much.

That taken care of we made it to the bio-dome, which I'll have to find pictures for later, but was a lot of fun; and the Jardin Botanic - Botanical Gardens to you and me, which had an insectarium. Also a good time.

Ottawa - a much nicer, friendlier city, that might have less to do but has a better attitude about doing it. I played in four rugby games Saturday and one Sunday and now have a) A deep, dark tan in those areas not covered by my kit and b)A hip that won't support my weight when I do certain things. But we played well, taking second place in our division, and I even got the lovely wife away form the kids for a few hours one night.


DSCN2061
Canadian Parliament - we took pictures at night as well, when I was along, but those must not have come out so well.
DSCN2057
Parliament. I think this is looking across the canal.
DSCN2050
I tol' that woman "Woman, ya better not be takin no pictures of me," and lookit wha' she did.
Or.

Brandon after a full days rugby, a stomach's worth of delicious Indian cuisine, and about three (expensive, damn, Ottawa) beers.
This, too, is looking out across the Canal. Or the Ottawa River, home of ...oh, nevermind.
DSCN2059
Ethan, shown here with his great-uncle Fugganon.
DSCN2043
The little one models his swimming dipe at the community pool (I was at the pitch when this was going on).

STR
Iranian women ruggers. In Burkhas. How cool is that?

I demand you go see Keith and his awesome slideshow that showcases a few of the great things about Washington (Those pictures are nowhere near Seattle).

Then go check out this guy's microscopic slideshow. Ticks? Really? But fluorescent stuff...I know a bit about that...

Then read this, and wonder why everyone can't be as friendly as the Baha'i (who also encourage their followers to learn Esperanto!).

According to sitemeter, I have had several people doing GIS searches and looking at my enigmatic Santos guy. Why? Because he is Santos.

Finally, a tear for Syd Barrett (Read that if you've got the time - it's long - the telepathy stuff trips me out a little). I'll meet everyone at the planetarium with some blotter for a remembrance...

I just farted.

10 comments:

Bryan and Audrey said...

Burkha rugby, that will be the name of my autobiography....

Unknown said...

Something about a woman in a burkha is damn hot...nudity is just so...normal.

Uhm. Canada, eh? Did you encounter the majestic moose? My sister was once bitten by a moose.

Do the Ba'hai folow the Orange Catholic Bible from the Dune universe, who's primary command is: thou shalt not disfigure your soul? Cause that sounds about like it.

Oh, and thanks for the plug.

B-Wizz said...

What is this GM business? I still check your other blog like three times a week, Will. Where you at with life right now? Haven't heard from you for a while...

I want to know if strip clubs in the middle east involve a stage show with the women lifting their hems to flash a little ancle at salivating men.

No moose. When I was in NH, I did see the biggest black bear I've ever seen in my life, right at the rugby pitch.

How did she get bit by a moose? Do tell.

I think everyone follows the OC Bible, whether they know it or not...

B-Wizz said...

Is it just me, or does that first picture of parliament look like a giant robot made of rock turning it's head in anticipation of eating a puny meat bag?

I just noticed that. Like I said, not present when pic was taken.

Unknown said...

The moose bit is from the intro to The Holy Grail...

Anonymous said...

Wow that's kind of ignorant for someone who lives in New York. The mysterious reason is that the French were settling the continent before the English. Montreal is and older settlement than New York and was one of the starting points of European civilization in North America. Since there were millions of French speaking people living in central and eastern Canada, they didn't just all mysteriously disappear after settling over thousands of kilometers just north of New York.
You Americans should pay a bit more attention to the rest of the planet...

B-Wizz said...

You know what else is kind of ignorant? Someone who's made it through, what, at least 18 years of life and hasn't figured out sarcasm, or gotten the bug out of their ass long enough to find the humor in cynicism(sp).

Germans colonized the midwest, but you don't hear much Deutsch there these days, do ya?

Should we all be speaking native American dialects?

Anonymous said...

No, but we shouldn't all necessarily be speaking English though.
I really do apologize for flying off the handle a bit. Do understand though that it can be very frustrating for many people hearing Americans speaking so dismissively about other countries. Quebec in particular is a territory larger than any state in the US and has almost seven million citizens, not to mention it's very near by. It didn't exactly come out of nowhere. There is no reason to be surprised or annoyed that people in another country speak other languages and have different cultures. Particularly those that are so close to you.
Again, I apologize. This is your site and you're free to express your opinions, but people in many countries hear similar comments from the US all the time and it's simply irritating and, in some cases, insulting. I couldn't resist commenting.
If your country insists on speaking so loudly in the world, expect that others will hear what you have to say.

B-Wizz said...

My biggest problem with my experience in Montreal was the attitude of the locals. I would visit Montreal again - but not with two kids and a mother-in-law in tow. People just weren't helpful enough to make getting around with those three "hobbles" very pleasant. Which I don't understand. I work with people from many foreign countries, some of whom just barely speak English, but I go out of my way to understand, help, and be understood when I am working with them. Is that so much to ask of anyone else when you visit their homes?

Anonymous said...

That I can understand. There's a very long history of tension between the French and the English in Quebec. The French now have most of the power but many have become very nationalist (quebec nationalistic) and insular. Quebec culture really is one of the most hospitable around but sometimes you don't really get to see it because so many people are distrustful of anyone English after all they've suffered. I'm a local, mainly English speaking, and I wrestle with the same thing. I'm sorry you didn't have a more pleasant time here. People in Ottawa are ridiculously friendly by comparison.

It's been good butting heads with you a bit. Here's some of my Mtl if you're not sick of it and me already: www.alldestroyer.blogspot.com

take care