Friday, October 27, 2006

Of Course I Know Better Than You Do

Since I've been, as I mentioned last post, a mostly lab sequestered, ill tempered, warmly dressed jerk the last several days, I thought I'd play the part of pretentious blogger with a stubborn belief than someone other than friends who are in on all my jokes reads this crap and share my poorly conceived opinions on a couple of things.

Music:
Listen to the latest CDs from Muse and Sigur Ros. They're both brilliant. I won't link anything, because I'm lazy, but I'll say a few things. I burned out on Muse's first (US) CD pretty quick - if you have it, listen for the gasping microphonic breathing between lyrical stanzas. Once you it's there, it'll drive you nuts - even though it has some of the finest rock guitar and bass in the last ten years. But the latest is great. It's got several Queen-like moments with three and four part harmonies, a lot of rocking, a touch of electronica, and more than one appropriate use of symphony orchestra. Sigur Ros might not be for everyone. They're an Icelandic band that doesn't sing in English - or Icelandic - it's a made up language. It's cool, atmospheric music. The singer/guitarist bows his instrument. Cindy and I had Sigur Ros' "( )" playing in the background when we were fake married for our families (I'll explain that if anyone doesn't get it).

Arts:
Here. Here. And here. Eye party, on.

Grumpy B:
I won't say much here. Suffice to say, if you're reading this blog it's not about you. Instead, here's some pictures of donkeys and ill tempered female dogs instead of my well thought out meditations on why and how certain people and things drive me to anear murderous rage. As I'm writing this, even.

102706-1102706-4102706-2102706-5102706-3102706-6

Edit: In my irritation over something going on in my lab while writing earlier, I forgot a couple of things. Funny here. And I forgot to mention that I made a four foot ethanol geyser in my lab earlier this week. I have nylon connectores that I use to attach fluid and waste tanks to my sorter. Well, they snap off pretty nicely when you wack them with your foot or anything else, and it seems that the larger diameter valves - which is currently all I've got - don't have the strength that the smaller ones do. So I replaced the valve on the tank I use to hold the 70% lab-hooch that I sterilize the machine with each morning. Flipped on the pressure to the machine and suddenly, from clear behind it, I could see a spout of fluid rising into the air - I'd just filled the tank with about a gallon of the stuff and it emptied in about two seconds. It looked kind of cool, was over and done with before I could even get out of the chair to respond, and I couldn't help but sit and luagh like a maniac for a few seconds before I got up and fixed it. And my whole week has been like that!

1 comment:

Bryan and Audrey said...

I feel for ya, sometimes my job gets so frustrating that I simply have to go and read posts from you and James then come up with who I think would play all the characters in the JSA, sitting behind my computer screens typing away like a possessed mad man.

I think for Halloween I'm going to be the Big Lebowski. At least then when someone asks me who I am I can say "I'm the dude....man, this aggression will not stand".