Thursday, October 05, 2006

Judas Priest On A Stromboli Roll!

I switched to blogger beta, and I must say, I really hate it. No soup for you, blogger.com! Anyhow.

Lately, my work listening habits have been 90% ALL ABOUT THE METAL. Metallica, Pantera (when no one else is around), Maiden, all of it. My work buddy Frank even gifted me with both the Essential Ozzie and the Essential Judas Priest CDs, both of which made me reflect on the life of a heavy metal act. Why is it that all metal bands have a kick ass set of albums when they're young, put out a bunch of shit mid-career, and then return to form when they're older? I can sort of understand if it goes along with pissed off youth/settled down family man/elder statesmen with both time and ability now that the kids are out of the house. That's my rumination of the week.

The Priest is almost too much for me to listen to while at work. Guitars that are high, hard, and fast? Check (No prison jokes, please). Vocals that are just this side of operatic, with a good dash of falsetto? Check. Machine gun drumming? Check. Bass lines that remind you that at least one band member is way too into the booze or blow for his own good? Check. I have a hard time not jumping up and punching a coworker in the throat every time the band kicks in on "Judas Rising." And that is no lie. That's how excitable it makes me. So watch this if you were born after 1972:


2 comments:

Jackson Curtis said...

I love the move the guitarists do where they rock forward onto their front foot and bang their head at the same time. Sweet.

B-Wizz said...

You have to have coordinated "power stances" to make it in the metal world.