Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I Wonder...

I recall learning once, it was either in an art class or a biology class (biology is more likely, but then, you've never met any of the art teachers I had), that back in Victorian times, women who wanted to lose a bit of weight could procure for themselves capsules that contained tapeworm segments. They'd take the capsule, be infested, lose the weight, and then take mild poisons to kill the worm(s). Why am I bringing this up?

In the news right now is the story of those poor souls who have been infected, via spinach, with Eschirichia coli O571:H7, which for those of you without access to scientific and medical journals, is one of the strains of E. Coli that can give you explosive diarrhea, among other nasty things.

And then I turn on the TV, or surf the internets, and get constantly bombarded with images of unhealthily skinny, weight obsessed young women (and men, I just heard of "manorexia"). Now, seeing as how it's 5-10 days of, erm, discomfort; and *only* 3-5% of victims (i.e. extremely old, extremely young, and the extremely infirm) progress to Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (kidney damage), of which only 5% experience serious deathage...Is it a stretch at all, then, to imagine some dumb, image obsessed person rapping on a grocer's back door, crack deal style, and requesting a bag of tainted spinach? These are the same people that will cram back fistfuls of diuretics for the same effects (or is it affects - I just looked up the difference between the two, and only managed to confuse myself more. But I digress). Nothing drops pounds quick like a case of the shits!

Anywho, whenever I think up things like this, I'm either in the shower, or on the commode. Maybe if I stopped using either one, I'd be more normal?

3 comments:

Bryan and Audrey said...

You know, I had salmonela poisoning in jr. high, and let me tell you, it was no picnic.

B-Wizz said...

I wouldn't imagine so. I got food poisoning once, on my birthday, from some Chinese restaurant in E-burg. Sucked hard. The next night I went to a sweet kegger, and because I was the only person at the place that wasn't drinking heavily (you know, becuase I would throw up if anything went into my tummy and all), I had some lippy freshman girl tell me I was "creepy" since I was just, like, wandering around and talking to people, instead of like, falling down drunk. Then my head exploded.

Duchess Of Austin said...

I went on Paxil for a few months some years ago, and lost like, 30 pounds because it gives you the runs.