Monday, September 25, 2006

Excerpt From My Life, September

Here's the latest:
DSCN2168
Cooper, caught napping with friends. Why does he look so ashamed?
After nights of scratching at the door keeping me awake, and never being able to allow Cooper out into the yard without a leash. I bought a remote training collar. At first I felt kind of bad about it - after all, the dog responds to being punished much better than the children do - but I must say it is working great. I only had to shock him a few times and then he got the picture. Now, if he misbehaves or leaves the yard, I push the button that makes the warning tone sound and he's falling all over himself trying to please. Hopefully it will carry over to sometime in the future when I try it on the children without the collar.
DSCN2167
Yup. Connor showed up in the bedroom the other day after plastering his face with some crappy mail labels we'd gotten. I think he'd removed about half of them by the time we got the camera out.
DSCN2171
Okay. Two parts to this story.
One - I had my parents ship one of my shotguns out to me, and it wasn't cheap. (Not to self: send the money to the parents). So I decided to make sure I got some use out of it, and seeing cheap decoys in Ye Olde Cabela's Catalog, I thought I'd try some duck hunting this year. Two: We bought a new refridgerator. The fridge arrived on the same days as the fake ducks and the dog's collar. The fridge also was a real bitch to hook up to the teensy water line that allows it to make ice and dispense pure waters. Since little Master C had already seen the "kucks" and we needed children out of the way, it was time for them to go and see how well they floated. They float pretty well.

Boring Pictures Of Room Remodeling:
DSCN2156
Been ripping the plaster out of the walls in the hobo's drug squat work-in-progress room. What a messy job. The picture's blurry because the lighting sucks in the room, and there's so much dust in the air that anytime I tried to use a flash, the picture came out looking like the doorway-in-starfield from the intro to old episodes of "The Twilight Zone."
DSCN2161
You know how from time to time there's a news story about people doing this kind of work and they find some old mob money, or a hidden piece of priceless art behind the walls in the old house they've inherited from Aunt Hattie? Yeah, I was just glad that I didn't find any mummified corpses.
DSCN2163
Yar! Here there be monsters asbestos. So I ain't touching it. Yet.

See how exciting life is in the post summer-prehunting/winter woods of the north?

4 comments:

Jackson Curtis said...

Is there a lake or a stream close by that you can duck hunt at?

I want to try bird hunting again, it was pretty fun that time we went goose hunting with Mike.

B-Wizz said...

I'll need to find a hunting buddy to haul my canoe around, or I can use my float tube, but I have tons of water nearby.

There's shitloads of resident geese around here, but I may wait until next year to try for those. There's ducks too, but I'm not under a flyway like I was out at Moses Lake.

I'd say we could go for ducks when you're back here, but we'd have to find a gun. You should talk to Mike about going duck hunting out at crab creek - that place is rad. There's lots of ducks, and generations of hunters have built these blinds out of stone, so it's sort of medieval looking.

Unknown said...

They're gonna put Crab Creek under water...turn it into a monster reservior....

Soon you'll find Ethan lying under the carpet with a 12 guage waiting for some duck to fly into the tub...then...bam.

B-Wizz said...

But Crab Creek's all ready the Northend on O'Sullivan Reservoir and the SW(ish) end of Moses Lake, unless I'm mistaken. Does that mean that that whole area from Potholes to Moses will be under water?

That's sad - Crab Creek's such a cool looking, historic hunting area.