Thursday, August 16, 2007

Vacation?

cataccident

Sorry to everyone who e-mailed, called, or left comments over the last several days who got no response or were only able to talk to me for a few minutes (or if I seemed surly at all) I actually got to take a few days off from work and "relax." I also had to ponder all the while whether or not I should attempt to move the family in the next year or so - I have a few potential job offers, none of which are closer to "home", some of which are for significantly more than I'm making now, all of which would be a change of scenery and would probably give the wife more of a shot at putting that college degree of hers to use. None of which I can afford to wait more than another couple of more days to act upon. And of course there's all the trappings that go along with that sort of thing - if you've been in the job market in the last few years, you know exactly what I'm talking about. What's a boy to do?

But that's not why I brought you here.

COOLGUY

The vacation - I actually did some vacation stuff. The canoe was out on the water - more than once! Beer was drank. Fish were caught. Food was grilled. Cigars were smoked. No yard-work was done! Okay, that's a lie, I did mow the lawn on Tuesday. And of course I paid the price for taking time off when I returned to work yesterday.

Cindy and I have been doing some hiking as well - Ampersand Mountain is a great, short, tough, scenic, beautiful hike. Peter's previously blogged about it - Cindy and I weren't on the ball enough to remember to pack the camera. The hiking around here brings to mind something I'd been told but didn't really get the gist of before moving out here. The East Coast has its own unique brand of idiot. I won't go into to many details as I don't want to bore anyone, but out West I would invariably run into crowds around hiking areas - yuppie Seattleites, a few active soccer moms with noisy brood in tow, morons with no business being in the woods, etc. We've got some of that around here, especially right now, in the peak of the summer tourist season (seriously, does no one know what "trail etiquette" means anymore?), but the ones that trouble me the most are...The idiots that bring ski poles on a short, easy hike. Are you #$%&ing kidding me? They're also usually the ones wearing the most expensive, single purpose "outdoor" clothing, which only adds to my feelings of superiority over them. A walking stick if you're old or lame? Sure, but ski poles? Can someone explain? I wish I had some pictures of this phenomenon so we could all laugh...

fatcat_468x735

4 comments:

Jackson Curtis said...

I didn't know you spent your vacation on a tropical island with Jesus and a puma. Awesome!

Bryan and Audrey said...

good luck dude, career decisions are toughies. Do you know how much money i would pay for a full size framed picture of "Jesus and a puma"!? A boat load.

PCS said...

I can explain. Ski poles during hiking is the latest fad for working your upper body.

B-Wizz said...

That's so...dumb!

I don't understand why no one in this area (at least that I run into can just get out and do something without making it all complicated. Outside of high school age kids I never see anyone:

-Running without putting on all sorts of climate controlling gear
-Biking if it's not on top of some $3k Italian job, while wearing all sorts of faux-sponsored replica jerseys and gross (smugglin plums?) bike shorts
-Paddling without sinking way too much into a kevlar body kayak, carbon fiber paddle, etc.
-Hiking without the ski poles and the $700 of OR/North Face gear

What happened to just throwing on a T-shirt and some shorts and running or hiking shoes (or an old canoe) and just going for it? Surely all of these bikers and paddlers aren't semi-pro or pros themselves, so why the fancy equipment.

Ya feel me?